HistoryIn the centre of the town of Nazarje, in the courtyard behind the once reputable Bohac inn, there is a large double hayrack, in Slovenian called the “Bohacev toplar”. It was commissioned by its owner, merchant and innkeeper Anton Turnšek (among the locals known as Bohac), sometime after 1874. It was built by Friulian builders, who were often hired especially by rich farmers from Styria from the mid 19th century onwards.
The hayrack belongs to the most important agricultural buildings in Slovenia. By its design and layout it represents a rare architectural feature, not only in the Upper Savinja Valley, but also in the wider region. Both frontal walls are masonry work, whitewashed and decorated with brick-made vents in three levels. The intermediate four support pillars and support brackets are made of oak.
After being decommissioned as a hay storage facility, the hayrack was left to deteriorate, and to be used as a deposit site for unused junk, until it was bought by the Nazarje municipal authority, which completely renovated it and gave it a whole new purpose. Today, the Bohac double hayrack represents an important piece of cultural heritage, as well as of the whole Upper Savinja Valley.